10 Questions with Matt Bailey
1. What is your name, where are you from and what do you do?
My name's Matt, I'm from Cheltenham, England and I'm an Illustrator. I fly stunt helicopters, and also draw dumb pictures and convince people they're worth actual money. I am sometimes a liar.
2. What influences your creativity?
I think everything feeds in and out of my work. If I've had a crap day drawing, it's probably because I've not been reading or listening to music enough. If I've been on a long walk with a good album, you can usually guarantee a good working day shortly after. All about that balance, me.
3. How long have you been drawing, and how did you first get into the trade?
I've been drawing for myself for 20 years, and professionally for three. It's a long slog to 'get in' and actually make some liveable money off it. I'm not the most talented illustrator by any stretch, but I'm pretty damn persistent. I would come home every evening and make a piece after my day job, try and get better. I guess I eventually did!
4. Describe your work in 3 words.
Dark. Skeletons. Tits.
5. What do you usually listen to in the studio?
I have very eclectic taste in music, but Johnny Cash is probably the most regular.
6. What is your opinion on the way social media has affected the art community?
It's fantastic! I don't think I'd be working, otherwise. It means that anyone good enough can be seen by the right people eventually, no matter their platform.
7. Who is your dream client?
I'd love to do a tee with Nine Lives Ireland, or anything for the band Murder By Death.
8. What are your favourite things to draw?
Haha, I think anyone looking at my work can guess this! Short list: skulls, reapers, tits, demons, satanic shit.
9. What do you do on your days off?
I love to sit down with headphones in and read a book. Make sure that I'm away from a computer or my phone, and just avoid thinking about emails or instagram for an hour or two. It's bliss.
10. Who else's work should we check out?
Fuck! Too many to name. All of these will be instagram handles: Godsteethillustration, Scoobtoobins, Corpsetits, Tonypapesh, Tofuthiefzzz, Dentonwatts
Matt Bailey can be found on Instagram @baileyillustration