10 Questions with Mark Jelliman
1. What is your name, where are you from and what do you do?
My name is Mark Jelliman. I'm from London and I'm a dotwork and geometry artist.
2. What influences your creativity?
My main inspirations come from Tibetan and Indian imagery and culture. And nature. But not in the way things look, or how pretty flowers look. I look at them in the ways they grow, closeup patterns, the ratios and procedures nature makes in its forms. It's really fascinating when you look beyond what you see on the surface.
3. How long have you been tattooing, and how did you first get into the trade?
I've been tattooing just over 4 years now. I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity to do an apprenticeship and learn from the ground up.
4. Describe your work in 3 words.
Lines. Dots. Repeat.
5. What do you usually listen to in the studio?
I listen to a lot of dark heavy music and a lot of ambient space sounds. Two opposite ends of the scale!
6. What is your opinion on the way social media has affected the art community?
Social media has helped and hindered tattooing in ways. It has allowed artists to be connected with people they would never have gotten to talk to, and see what is happening across the globe as it happens. On the other hand, it also allows some people to take designs from designers and copy them without consent. It's a double edged sword.
7. Who is your dream client?
Someone who comes to me and let's me do my thing. I love when someone comes to me with a size and a rough idea, and leaves me to do what I do with the design.
8. What was the first tattoo you ever did and who was it on?
The first tattoo I did was on myself. It's a small UFO on my ankle. I like aliens.
9. What do you do on your days off?
There isn't really a day off in tattooing, any day I'm not in the studio I'm at home drawing up designs for upcoming appointments, or drawing and painting. I love art, it's everything to me. I try and draw a mandala a day and I keep a book of 200+ designs I'm always adding to. I get antsy if I don't draw something everyday.
10. Who else's work should we check out?
Alvaro Flores, Dillon Forte and Jack Peppiette.
Mark Jelliman can be found on Instagram @marktattooist