10 Questions with Mitchell Allenden
1. What is your name, where are you from and what do you do?
Hi. My names Mitchell Allenden. I'm originally from Swindon, but currently live and work in Leeds in the UK.
2. What influences your creativity?
I take a lot of influences from nature. A lot of my work is based around animals, especially birds. I try to work a little bit of heavy metal in there as well, although not always successfully...
3. How long have you been tattooing and how did you first get into the trade?
I've tattooed for around 6 and a half years from the beginning of my apprenticeship. I've always painted a lot, even from a young age, and I loved getting tattooed. So it was really just natural progression. I worked in a few shops as a body piercer and then whilst at university I managed to get an apprenticeship (after doing a few home tattoos). It all worked out pretty smoothly for me.
4. Describe your work in 3 words...
Special needs class.
5. What do you usually listen to in the studio?
We listen to loads of stuff. I like lots of '80s cheese and power ballads. I'm a big Michael Bolton fan haha. We like a lot of metal and British indie. Pretty open to most stuff.
6. What is your opinion on the way social media has affected the art community?
It's just been amazing. It's opened it up massively, I find amazing people everyday on Instagram and I don't even have to look. It's made the entire art community a lot more accessible.
7. Who is your dream client?
8. What was the first tattoo you ever did and who was it on?
It was a crappy broken beer bottle with my initials in it on my brother. It's not an instant classic that's for sure...
9. What do you do on your days off?
When I get a proper day off I just like to be super lazy. Hang out with my girlfriend or the dog. I try to get out on the motorbike when I can but with this year's British weather and being super busy it's been shut up more than I'd like.
10. Who else's work should we check out?
If you haven't seen his work, Peter Lagergren is one of my favourite artists and just tattooed my head. Also a big fan of Alexander Grim, Marcus Maguire, Seth Wood and Victor Chil.
Mitch's work can be found on Instagram @sneakymitch